Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote agent on exchange server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rearview

MIS
May 28, 2002
US
On my backups each night, I get the following error when it tries to backup the C: and D: on my exchange server. (and the exchange stores)

"Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup"

I have tried all the options I've come across on veritas's web site and on here, but nothing works. I used to have BackupExec 8.6 installed on the Exchange server, but I removed it and now have only the remote agent from the new backup server on it. Is this part of my problem? Thanks in advance.

you should have remote agent for windows nt/2000 to be able to connect to your client (exchange server) install it by your master server then push to your exchange server machine. then have also veritas agent for ms exchange (so total of two agents)
if you have installed backup exec 8.6 to your exchange sserver before and have remove it, i advise to remove also veritas on registry (regedit)

I have the Exchange agent on the backup server (it was, of course, previously on the exchange server when it was doing local backups) and I have pushed the remote agent from the backup server to the exchange server. I've tried editing the registry and removing all veritas and backup exec references. I'm sort of stuck...

hey rearview, have you installed the system administration tool of exchange to your master server/backup server?

Yes, the Exchange Administrator is installed on my backup server.

If you go to properties for the server from backup selections does it show the agent is in fact installed?

It shows the remote agent on Exchange server to be installed and running.

I have Backup Exec 8.5 running a backup from one server and trying to backup my Exchange server. I can get a successful backup of mailboxes and the Exchange store on the server with the Tape Drive but I get the error cannot attach to the Exchange store on the other server. I have loaded the Exchange agent on both servers, and Backup Exec on the other server, not the remote agent but full thing. My main problem is that I have log files that are making me run out of room on the Exchange server. I can't clear them until I can get Backup Exec to run the job on the 2nd Exchange server. Any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back