Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote administration of SqlServer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpet

Programmer
Jun 5, 2000
DE
hello all,<br><br>i know this is not an sql specific question but maybe<br>someone is able to answer me anyway.<br><br>i am starting to implement a db on sqlserver7. my question<br>is: is it possible to administrate sqlserver from a<br>remote workstation? i mean also adding tables and even <br>databases?&nbsp;&nbsp;if it is possible: what software does it take<br>to make it?<br><br>the sqlserver is installed on a w2k machine and i want to<br>get access from an nt workstation in the same domain.<br><br>i am new to slqserver and could not get this information<br>yet so any advise would be very helpful.<br><br>thank you.<br><br>

All you require is to install SQLServer client utilities on your NT workstation (from the SQLServer 7 disk). The utilities come with enterprise manager which allows you to manage as many SQLServers as you want on your domain. Start enterprise manager on your workstation and right click on the 'Microsoft SQL Servers' icon. Select 'New Server Registration' and your SQLServer should appear in the list. If it does not, just type in the name and select the authentication mode.<br><br>Once registered you should be able to connect to the server and administer the SQL Server from your workstation.<br><br>Hope this helps,<br><br><br>Chris Dukes

excellent! i will try to get it up and running immediately.<br>this will help me a lot!<br><br>thanks for your fast response chris!<br><br>bye<br>-- ralf<br><br><br>

One note:<br>You can also manage SQL servers not in your domain too. We have a database on our ISP's WEB site that is ours to do as we see fit. We must maintain it.<br>So I created an ODBC DSN to the database with the ISP's help of course (getting the correct IP address and User login and Password). But now I can see their database along with ours. All 3 show up in Enterprise Manager.<br>Now the WEB site database is slower acting and to connect to, and we also have a DSL connection. But it's just as though it's at our office. I can do anything to it.<br>I am however using Enterprise Manager on an NT 4.0 server not a workstation.<br><br> <p>DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back