Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Administration from an NT Workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

treble99

Technical User
Jul 25, 2000
GB
I would like to administer (i.e. assign users rights, add new-users etc.) from a remote NT workstation instead of performing these operations directly on the servers which are located in the data room. Is there any way of accomplishing this.

Many thanks.

This can be accomplished by installing the Server tools on the Workstation.

If you have the NT Server CD there should be a directory called Clients and within it one called SRVTOOLS. There are two subdirectories, WIN95 and WINNT. To install on an NT Workstation run the SETUP.BAT from the WINNT folder.

NT Server itself, has a facility to copy the Client and Server Tools files to a hard drive a create a share for remote installation. This is in Admin Tools/Network Client Administrator...select the option to Copy Client-Based Network Administration Tools. You will be given options on where to copy from and to along with the Share Name.

Thank you Doug, I'm really grateful!

If you do not want to put extra tools on your Workstation etc you can use VNC to connect to your NT Server remotely.

This is a cool (free) utility that allows you to "take control" of a remote PC (Server or Workstation) and use the machine as if you were sitting there.

More details from

[sig][/sig]

Keep in mind, that when VNC is active, (when you are viewing a remote computer), that computer's CPU level will have the life sucked out of it.
>:):O> [sig]<a href=mailto: anongod@hotmail.com> anongod@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."[/sig]

You can also store the tools on a shared folder on the server then run them from any NT workstation. [sig]<p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>If everything seems to be going well: you don't have enough information.......[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back