Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote admin console snapin problem (smsv4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sickss

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2002
US
I know I should not ask a beta question, but I guess this problem could have very well happened in 2003. I am looking to install the remote administration console on a couple client pc's in our organization. I start first by installing the new version of .net and mmc 3.0 (both required by the install) From that point I install the administration console through the setup files.

The newly created admin console icon takes me to MMC, with an error message of "MMC could not create the snap-in". This same thing happens if I try directly opening the msc file from mmc. I have also tried moving this file to the sms server, and it opens fine...move it back to a client machine, and same problems.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, or possibly another place that I could look.

Thanks
Dennis

what OS are the client machines? They need to be Win2k3 or XP pro I think. There is no such problem with SMS2003 though.

I asume you have local admin rights and can open other consoles in the new MMC3?

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

The client machines are either windows xp pro sp2, or windows 2k3 server. Neither act any different. Loging on as domain admin, which has local admin rights on both machines.

Weird problem
Thanks for the reply
Dennis

I have barely tried V4, and deffinately haven't tried installing just the console.

Reemember it is only a beta, so it may actually be a problem. Try posting on MyITForum.com

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Will give a shot over at Myitforum.com....though I don't remember seeing any beta talk overthere..

Thanks
Dennis

the knowledge of V4 and R2 is scarce everywhere...nobody seems to want to talk about it...especially microsoft....I think they just thre a broken brick at us, and hope us messing with it will stop us from noticing their difficiencies in other products coming to fruition ATM.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back