Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

dberg35

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2006
US
I am looking for a solution that when a friend calls me for help I am able to view their screen to be able to help them. Free would be great. I know VNC has many flavors just not sure what to use.

You can try RealVNC, this is very popular remote PC access/management software.

Also you can try remote desktop on Windows XP as well if you like.

Hope helps..

VNC and some others require port forwarding through router firewalls. Remote desktop blacks out their screen. You can try logmein free version. Once you set it up, you can talk someone through using your login with password to download and setup the free version on their end. As long as each computer uses a different access code that will keep them out of each others if they remember the login and password when done, or you can change your logmein password.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

We use Real VNC very successfully withing the company. It is easy to set up exceptions to the firewalls and the settings can be modified to enable or disable client interaction. However there are issues between Real VNC (freeware) and Vista. Ultra VNC apparently works but I haven't been able to test this adequately. Also the paid for version of VNC does work with Vista but i doubt you would want to pay to do what you are intending.

I am trying to do the very same thing. This time it's my parents who are always calling with problems that are very difficult for them to explain to me. It is also hard for me to tell them what to do. If I could just see there screen - It would be fine. I also don't want to spend a fortune. I am thinking about Remote Desktop Control - The price seems right. What about the firewall problems? My parents don't currently have a firewall - but it's actually something I would like to set up - remotely. Thier ISP provides free software (W2K) and I will have to download in install it for them (not available right now). Other tasks I could help them with are updates and Maintenance.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back