Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Access via DID not working, please assist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalphNY

MIS
Mar 13, 2013
US
Hello,
I attempted to set up remote access according to a previous post here, but even though I received no errors, when I dial the DID number I set to be for Remote Access, it just plays the main voice menu.

I'm using the same incoming call routing that's working for a 2nd DID on the same PRI, which gets directed to an alternate auto attendant menu. Most extensions do not match the last three numbers of a DID at this point, but those that do aren't getting calls to their coresponding DID.

I suspect that somehow the regular auto attendant is assigned to pickup all DIDs, except the one that's going to the other AA menu, but I'm not sure how to disable that, or what else it might be that's preventing me from hearing the stutter dial tone and being able to get into the system. Please help. Thanks a lot, Ralph.

Since you're using Merlin Messaging, once you reach the automated attendant, dial **10 to reach the internal modem

Sorry for being unclear. I already have remote access via remote desktop to a computer attached to the system's Admin port, running WinSPM, and also access via modem.

What I need is the ability to dial through the system, specifically to modify call forwarding for extensions of salespeople who are in the field.

If I were at the location, I could use their access codes and modify their forwarding phone numbers, but I don't see any option to do that in WinSPM/Standard SPM.

It's my perhaps mistaken understanding that Remote Access on the Magix, if tied to a DID like the post I linked-to suggests, should let me dial in, enter the Barrier Code, then get a dial tone on the system, that would let me adjust their forwarding among other things, e.g. dial #80TheirAccessCode#*33TheNumberIoForwardTo#.

I now have at least mostly configured, and it seemed pretty straightforward, but the DID / last three digits extension number I have set up for Remote Access isn't picking up with the stutter dial tone, to let me enter the Barrier Code. Instead the main auto attendant is.
[ul]
[li]Does the Magix' remote access not support dialing authorization codes and feature codes once in the system / after the barrier code?[/li]
[li]Any idea why the main menu be picking up, rather than an extension matching the last three digits of the DID, when the same incoming call routing is working to direct another DID to a 2nd auto-attendant?[/li]
[li]Is there some other way to adjust forwarding through WinSPM?[/li]
[/ul]

Thanks again for your help, Ralph.

Does anyone have an idea why the main auto-attendant would be picking up most but not all DIDs and not letting me get in through the DID I have set to go to Remote Access?

Alternately, is there any other way, through WinSPM or Standard SPM to change / update the number that an extension is forwarding to? That's what I ultimately need to do, and why I want the remote access. Thank you for your help, Ralph.

OK, you can't modify an extension's forwarding number via SPM, that has to be done through DISA, just as you describe. However, you don't need to use their auth code. So you would dial the DISA line, dial the barrier code at the stutter dial tone, then *33 for forward, dial the extension number, and dial the forwarding number (which would be 9 and the telephone number and #)

If you're not getting the stutter dial tone, then your DID is not routing to the remote access code. Could be an issue with the telco, could be a mistake in your routing tables.

You can cancel a remote forward via winspm if you need to. If and only if the user has a forward button on their phone that they have used to activate the feature. Simply delete the button from the user's phone and it will remove forwarding. Add the button back on and do a quick print of the extension to verify it has been removed. I used to do this all the time back when legend/magix systems were more popular. This trick also works with do not disturb as well. Saves an on-site trip for something silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back