Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote access using Win2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexNeil

Programmer
Jun 4, 2001
GB
I have 2 computers both running Windows 2000 Professional and both having a dial-up connection to the internet. The computers are geographically separated though, so I'd like to see if there's a way that I can access one computer from the other.

Is this technically possible and, if so, what are the security/hacker considerations that I need to think about?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,
Alex

when you say connect could you be more specific. for example you could utilize pc anywhere to transfer files etc.. just dial the remote computer and your in.

I would be transferring files and also performing administrator functions on the remote computer. Perhaps PC Anywhere is suitable for this? Is it expensive? Is it secure?

thanks,
Alex

Alex,

Being expensive is a relative issue...it all depends on how bad you need to access your other computer. I checked out pricewatch.com and they have it listed from $12-$30 plus shipping. As far as being secure you can set up encryption within the software itself to secure things and set user login and passwords as well.

Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

Hi Chuck,

$12-$30 sounds very cheap - I looked on the Symantec website and found Norton PCAnywhere, but it was $179!! - was I looking at the right product? I see your point on expense being relative - if I don't have to do a 150 mile round trip to my parents house to sort out a problem then it's very worth it!!

My next question is probably more to do with Windows2000 itself (not sure if this is the right forum?) ... Will I be able to do things like install printers, check modem settings, etc on the remote computer? I have username information that would allow me administrator access if I were at the PC in person.

thanks,
Alex

Alex,

Yes, you were looking at the right product. The vendors on Pricewatch.com are selling the software as a bunled product. You will just get the program disk and regestration card but no Retail box. All the documentation is on the cd-rom itself. I have purchased software from Symantec (Act) this way before and have never had a problem.
Anything you would be able to do in person at the machine you are connecting to you will be able to do via the link.
Well except for the physical things :) ie: put a floppy in the drive etc.

Hope this helps,
Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

If you feel a post has been helpful to you, click on the link at the bottom of their post to cast a vote for "TipMaster Of The Week". You don't need to be the one who asked the question to vote.

cheers Chuck - that's been a great help. I think my parents should be able to put disks in, connect printer cables etc. (although they still can't program the video recorder X-)!!).

Alex

Alex,

There doing better then mine then! My parents have never had a video recorder! Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

If you feel a post has been helpful to you, click on the link at the bottom of their post to cast a vote for "TipMaster Of The Week". You don't need to be the one who asked the question to vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back