Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Access to Win 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonym29

Technical User
Jun 7, 2001
GB
I have installed Dial up server in win 98, I can connect from the remote client but cannot access the win 98 network that the dial up server is connected to.

I have enabled browse master on the Dial up server but still no joy.

Tony,

First thing I would do is to make sure that your workgroup name is the same Start\Settings\Control Panel\Network\Identification. The next thing to do is to make sure you have file sharing enabled for the directorys you want to access.

Hope this helps!
Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

If you feel a post has been helpful to you, click on the link at the bottom of their post to cast a vote for "TipMaster Of The Week". You don't need to be the one who asked the question to vote.

I have checked and still no joy.

Tony.

Tony,

Have you checked to make sure the subnet masks are the same?

Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

If you feel a post has been helpful to you, click on the link at the bottom of their post to cast a vote for "TipMaster Of The Week". You don't need to be the one who asked the question to vote.

what are sub net masks ?
and how do you configure them?

Tony

Tony,

To check and configure your subnet masks goto Start\Settings\Control Panel\Network Now look for the TCP\IP callout in the main screen. This call out (TCP\IP) will have a little arrow next to it with the name of your computers NIC (network card). Highlight that callout then click on properties. You will now see the IP address of the card as well as the subnet mask. Just make sure both computers you are trying to connect have the same subnet.

Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

i am having the same problem. using dial-up from win98 to win98 i can browse the network over netbeui, but i cannot ping any of the nodes outside the dial-up server. this is not a problem when win2000 is the server. i have read that the dial-up for win98 does not support ip routing. if this is true then there is no solution except to upgrade to win2000.

specifically i cannot set the ip address of the client (even though i do in the tcp/ip settings), it always defauts to 192.168.55.2. and the server is always 192.168.55.1 with no getway.

win2000 does recognize these ip settings and works fine.

i need to ping outside the server in order to run terminal emulation for an as/400 on the network from the remote pc.

jlw.

If I have TCP/IP and not netbeui,I have specifical ip adress for each computer and even internet connection sharing on the dial-up server, How can I remotely connect to this win98 server?
Do I have to use LMHOSTS or HOSTS files? How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back