Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote access to OS X machine from windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

utoyo

Technical User
Mar 5, 2005
US
I'm wondering if there is a way to get remote access to an OS X machine from a Windows XP machine. Using the remote desktop application in XP would be great but I doubt that can be done. I've got two OS X machines I'd like to get remote access to one is 10.2.8 and the other is 10.3.9.

Any recommended applications? And tips?

Thanks in advance.

10.4 and 10.5 have under the 'Sharing' preferences a 'screen sharing' function. Turn that on and you're good to go. Check this thread...

For a little more info. realvnc.com has a viewer you can download for free. Set yourself to full color depth and ZRLE encoding and you're good to go.

Screen sharing will work, but my vote goes for Real VNC. Screen sharing does have all the bells and whistles of a true VNC clinet or server.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

A true VNC server only accepts mouse and keyboard input and outputs the screen, minus the mouse. The mouse gets drawn locally on the client. Anything else is not GPL VNC and will cost you.

In my experience, Apple's screen sharing is as fully featured as the realvnc.com offering, assuming you're cheap like me and won't pay for it. I don't even know what they include when you buy the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back