Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Access solution please

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapBlye

IS-IT--Management
Mar 10, 2001
US
OK, heres my situation. I need to provide Access to a Remote Oracle Server over a Long distance connection. Now, currently, the Oracle server accepts Dial in connections to authenticate a user. But if im on a DSL connection, what would the Admin need to update to provide access? Also, Id rather not have the user dial in with Long distance charges, so is there a way to configure a secure remote connection through the internet?? Would that require a VPN? Or just a Web server on the Oracle server side? What other options are available? The admin of this LAN is good people, but not very good with new things. The LAN the Oracle server is on is NT, And the pc ill be connecting with is win2k pro. Is the NT version of RAS as Versatile as the Win2k?
Talk to me people....
Thanks in advance

VPN, Terminal Server or PCAnywhere.
You connect via the wan IP.
Proper ports must be open on the router and pointed to the server ip.
Ports 5631 and 5632 for PCAnywhere
I think its port 3389 for Terminal Server, but not sure.
VPN needs a few ports AND protocol gre 40 open.

Your router manager or supplier should have this info. Glenn A
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are tasty and crunchy and good with ketchup."

I use Novell Groupwise at work. How do I access it remotely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back