Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote access solution for POS

Status
Not open for further replies.

CablingPro

IS-IT--Management
Oct 17, 2002
US
I’ve been working on a project that entails rollouts of POS terminals in the medical settings, where up-time is critical. These are windows based machines, equipped with peripherals such as ID card reader, document scanner and touch screen.

We have developed software that monitors all units out in the filed and alerts us as soon as they go offline.

One of the challenges is to come up with a remote access solution (software/hardware) that would work behind customers firewalls, as these devices are connected to preexisting LANs with private IP assigned though DHCP.

In order to be able to handle system lockups such as Windows BOD I’m looking for remote power management solution that will allow power cycle the box as necessary.

So far I found iBoot by DataProbe, which seem to be a relatively cheap but partial solution. It allows for Remote Power Control from a Web Browser, which works well on LAN as long you know device’s IP, but the trick is to get it to work across WANs.

Another solution is by company called Lantronix, which is an KVM over IP that has remote power unit and it works across WANs. As long as the KVM has access to the Internet it calls to the home base/gateway to which you can connect from any computer via web browser to gain full control over the terminal. It works, but it gets rather expensive with licensing.

BTW. Both solutions require an additional Ethernet connection, which would complicate installation requirements.

Can anyone recommend similar solution(s) that would work here?

I'm looking for hardware/software solution.

Logmein is only good as long as the OS is operational. Besides it's a resource hog on the server side.

I need to be able to access terminals at BIOS level and/or power down completely as necessary.

I work with POS solutions. There is a forum just form them.

What works best is the POS system being on its own IP scheme so that you can direct connect to the server that controls them. In my environments we log into the server using PCanywhere, Logmein, or whatever meets your needs, and then use VNC, instead of MS, to grab the terminals individually.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back