Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Access routing advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillari

MIS
Oct 14, 2003
AU
I have a client I need to support remotely whoes security nazis wont allow me to VPN into, & standard dialup isnt an option for what I need. There RAS system uses a Lucent ISDN based dohicky, so I can connect at 128k which will do the job for me. Now the nazis on my network, wont allow me to put a machine on out network that could be a potential back door (fair 'nuff).
I need the internet based access so that I can connect from home via cable or PPC via GPRS (glad i'm not paying the phone bill).
The best solution we came up with is a standalone PC in the office with an ADSL link & an ISDN (demand dial) link to the client.
Now here's where my problems start, what I do after connecting to the standalone gateway box from the net. I see 2 alternatives.
1. Running VNC server & taking control of the machine, making the ISDN connection & proceeding as If I was working locally. This will be easier to configure but will only allow 1 person to connect which will be ok for 95% of the time. Also having VNCs within VNCs will get messy
or
2. Making a VPN connection to the gateway maching (Linux) & using routing to connect to the client. Configuring this option is where I may need a little help with the routing.

TIA
Joseph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back