Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Access relinking tables on Remote server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

justagrunt

Technical User
Oct 10, 2002
Hi,
There is a server in another country (Windows server 2003, office 2003)which has a number of databases. They reside on the "D" drive of the server. The computers using this database are mapped to a "J" drive to avoid drive letter conflicts (it was the way it was, and so I obeyed).
Remote access is only going to be used to read the database via thin client terminal serves. When the databases's were set up they had to be mapped individually to "J' drive. When trying to view from outside using remote access to the server, when the database front end is opened , it won't as it states that the server can't find "J" drive.
Is there a way to relink a copy of these front ends to the 'D' drive on the server ? or will I have to get someone at the remote server to save a copy.
When I set each database up on the server originally they were mapped to the servers "D" drive. When I tried to open them form the computers I had to open via the "J" drive and relink and save. Now all database are linked via a 'J" drive. I wish to be able to open a front ened based on the server and linked to the "D' drive.
I have tried exploring via network conections on the server (looking up its own rear end) and get the same result that the front ends won't open because the particular drive is not recognised.
Any advise apprecitaed.
Regards
Bill

OK, you've said some confusing things. One:

--
[Databases] reside on the "D" drive of the server. The computers using this database are mapped to a "J" drive to avoid drive letter conflicts (it was the way it was, and so I obeyed).
--

This doesn't totally make sense. More quotes:

--
Remote access is only going to be used to read the database via thin client terminal serves. When the databases's were set up they had to be mapped individually to "J' drive.
--

Ok, I get the above, moving on:

--
When trying to view from outside using remote access to the server, when the database front end is opened , it won't as it states that the server can't find "J" drive.
Is there a way to relink a copy of these front ends to the 'D' drive on the server ? or will I have to get someone at the remote server to save a copy.
--

So you're saying that the remote people log in and don't have a J drive. Ok.

--
When I set each database up on the server originally they were mapped to the servers "D" drive. When I tried to open them form the computers I had to open via the "J" drive and relink and save. Now all database are linked via a 'J" drive. I wish to be able to open a front ened based on the server and linked to the "D' drive.
--

Ok, I'm lost again. My problem is that I don't know exactly what your setup is, based off of what you wrote here. So I'll just try the general advice.

One: set up a separate frontend for the remote users and for the local users. Link the remote users to D drive (is that right?) and the local users to J drive. You can even rename the frontend so this works, e.g. frontend_local.mdb, frontend_remote.mdb.

Two: Use the UNC path to connect to the database, e.g. \\servername\sharename\subdir\subdir\backend.mdb . This works on all Windows servers (yeah, it doesn't work on Novell file servers, I know).

Either 1 or 2 will solve your problem. Unless you have a different problem.

Thanks foolio 12,
be gentle.
On the button with decifering my mess. The new server was set up by a local tech in singapore for the Singapore office. He set up the other computers around the office to have a mapped "J" drive looking at the servers "D".
When I arrived, the server was set up with a folder on its 'D" drive to contain al the databases. The databses were split to have a back end and a front end.
Here in NZ our server already has all its drive letters allocated. Using remote access and terminal services to look at the Singapore server we only see the "D" drive so to speak of the singapore server. Using thin client we are only going to look at the state of the database's.
At the time I had no idea, so when i went to a local computer (whilst in Singapore to load the database on the server)and tried to open a database it wouldn't open as the tables were linked to "D" drive and the local computers had "D" drive allocated to there hard drive partition. I had to access the database and remap the frontends via the mapped "J" drive to the back ends on the server - hence the fontends that are physically on the server are linked via "J" drive. When these are looked at remotely from NZ they currently will not open as "J" drive can't be found.
If any of this makes a differnce - if not will pursue your advice.
Kind Regards
bill

OK, sorry if I'm harsh, it's just that the tangle was ... tangled. And you're looking for specific advice...anyway.

So I do think that option One is a good setup: keep your "local Singapore people" with the frontends that point to J:, but copy that file and create a 'terminal services' frontend that points to D:. Then have all the people remotely logging on to use the 'terminal services' frontend.

This will work. Incidentally I had to do this very same thing with my own Citrix/Terminal Server setup--one frontend for the local users, and one other frontend for the Citrix/WTS users. It's one more thing to worry about when re-deploying a new frontend, but other than that it's all gravy.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back