Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Access Question/Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieffer89

Technical User
Dec 2, 2009
US
Hey, hows it going?

Ive been trying to figure this out, we have windows server 2003 at our workplace and i haven't really tried it yet but Ive been wanting to access my desktop here at the workplace from home on my Laptop. The laptop is running windows vista. while im at the workplace i can access it no problem seeing as though its connected to the local network, but when i try to connect from my home network it says im to able to and i think the reason for that is because i might have to go through the server somehow to access my work computer, can someone help me out with this? Thanks in advanced

-Kyle

You'll need to setup either a VPN connection (secure, but may be difficult to get setup properly depending on your technical abilities) or setup port forwarding on your router/firewall (less secure, but easier to set up).

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Look at logmein.com it is a free service.

Words of Advice: Make sure that whatever solution you pick (logmein, gotomypc, etc) has been cleared with your IT security department. There may be remote access policies in place at your place of employment that would prevent you from using such a service. Or, at least, there may be audit policies in place requiring activity logs of when you've connected remotely, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back