Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote access - permission denied....don't understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

WMB63

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2006
US
Server 2003.....VPN.....User wants access from home to network. I thought i had all the permissions set but when user tries to connect from home we keep getting a permission error.....

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: IAS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 2
Date: 2/13/2008
Time: 6:56:44 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MTJ01
Description:
User dbilyeu was denied access.
Fully-Qualified-User-Name = kbjm-mtj.local/MyBusiness/Users/SBSUsers/David Bilyeu
NAS-IP-Address = 192.168.1.254
NAS-Identifier = <not present>
Called-Station-Identifier = <not present>
Calling-Station-Identifier = 0.0.0.0
Client-Friendly-Name = PIX Firewall
Client-IP-Address = 192.168.1.254
NAS-Port-Type = <not present>
NAS-Port = 4
Proxy-Policy-Name = Use Windows authentication for all users
Authentication-Provider = Windows
Authentication-Server = <undetermined>
Policy-Name = Connections to other access servers
Authentication-Type = MS-CHAPv1
EAP-Type = <undetermined>
Reason-Code = 65
Reason = The connection attempt failed because remote access permission for the user account was denied. To allow remote access, enable remote access permission for the user account, or, if the user account specifies that access is controlled through the matching remote access policy, enable remote access permission for that remote access policy.

I check user's permissions in AD and the Dial-in is set "Control access through Remote Access Policy". Checked the policy and the following policies are there w/ the following set.

Policy Conditions:
NAS-Port-Type Matches "Virtual (VPN) AND - set to Virtual VPN and the Edit Dial In Profile has the Authentication set to MS-CHAP V2 checked and MS-CHAP checked.
VPN Users is also listed. I have user in this group.

If connection matches is set to grant access.

The other policy is titled Connections to Microsoft Routing and Remote Access Server. Grant remote access is checked.

Last policy is Connections to other access servers. I didn't change anything w/ this one because i assumed this does not apply for me?

What did I miss and why is access permission being denied?

TIA

on the user properties in ad users & computers| dial-in tab

set the permission to allow access and test, if the user gets in, then the problem is a bad remote access policy, if they can't, its your infrastructure

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE:Security00/03
MCSA:Messaging00
MCSA:Security03
A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back