Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Access Levels Setup Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yemaya

Technical User
Sep 13, 2006
CA
Hi Guys,

I want to give access to my home cisco lab to a couple of friends to give them the change to practice before the exam, i have setup SSH to accept connections to my access server, i'm the admin and have privilege 15 but i want to assign a lower privilege to my friend because they don't have to much experience with cisco routers and i dont want they erase anything in the access server like flash or the NVRAM startup configuration, i just want to give them permission to reverse telnet to my routers/switches in the lab.

I'm planning assign 2 vtp lines for them with privilege ex: 1, setup two usernames with privilege 1 like this:

Code:
AccessServer(config)#username cisco privilege 1 secret cisco1
AccessServer(config)#username cisco1 privilege 1 secret cisco2

line vty 0 1
 privilege level 1
 logging synchronous
 login local
 transport input ssh

What i need to know is how can i assign the privilege level for them to only get access to reverse telnet and they can play with the differents routers in my lab.

I appreciate any input.

When you say play, is that just to be in 'user exec' mode pr wish them to play with the config of a partucular router??

If it is user Exec mode, I understand Cison defaults to level 0, but if you wish to configure a paricular privilege level, you have to play with the IOS, whilst configuring router.

Opt 1 example:

conf t
line vty 0 4
login local
ctrl + z

then

conf t
username jbloggs password cisco
ctrl + z
wr

OPTION 2:

conf t