Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote access into .mdb

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilt

Technical User
Nov 12, 2002
GB
Hi everyone,
My boss & 2 others need to work on our access database, remotely. I've got them connected via VPN & TS but they're complaining that it's very slow when querying etc. I know the speed is going to be less than on the LAN but does anyone know of any way to speed up the connection? 3rd party Software etc. Any suggestions are welcome.

TIA,
Kilt

If I'm not mistaken, MS Access db don't handle simultaneous querying but multiple users too well. However, with 3 users, it shouldn't be that bad. Maybe it's the query that's not well formulated ? Try reading/posting in the MS Access forum for more info. Maybe it's the query that's not well formulated ? I used to read and found some interesting info regarding multi-user access to a DB.

anthony

With terminal services, you should be running the Access database as if you are at a workstation on the internal Lan; the keystrokes and video screen changes are the signals which are exchange remotely ( relatively small data transfer, other than on printing locally at remote). Basically, your problem should not have anything to do with the VPN or TS. A couple of my clients have this setup via a sonicwall and linksys VPN, on 1 ghz TS servers and the speed is fine, if not better than most workstations on the internal NET. With TS you need mucho ram, these setups have 2 gig. The connections are, I believe, 384 up and down.
The speed of the query should be a function of the Lan infrastructure, independent of the VPN/cable speed. Again keystrokes and video screen changes should be the only data transmited over the VPN.

Thanks for the replies - technome i think you're right. We only have an 0.5 Mb ADSL connection with Upstream of 128Kb/s. ( Unfortunately we can't upgrade our connection due to location ) I will add more RAM & hopefully this might increase the Remote Users experience.

Cheers,

Kilt

You connection speed is fine.
The actually processing will be as fast as if you are sitting at the TS keyboard,screen redraw will be slower. If the boss aand friens wants no delays in the remote screens they need a reality check; if the actual query is slower at the remote than at the TS, something in the query is not correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back