Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote access, different sites, different OS's different connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

dellboy

IS-IT--Management
May 11, 2001
GB
I am trying to create a comprehensive solution to a random problem and hope people may have a few ideas.

I need to create a remote access solution to multiple sites, both with and without firewalls. I have sites running dial-ups but mainly ADSL/broaband, some are static IPs and some dynamic, some users are more technically adept than others.

My current thought process is as follows:
1. Install something like VNC, or the commercial/enterprise edition on the remote users and servers. This I think will provide a secure remote access solution.
2. Create a batch file that will provide the WAN based IP address, the user can run this batch when I need to access. The idea being that when I need to access they call me, run the batch, give me the remote IP and I connect onto that IP via VNC

The idea would be to put both VNC and the IPconfig batch onto a CD and send out to the offices round the country and get them to install the files. I appreciate that the offices with firewalls may prove problematic but most of the offices with f/w's are static and so I can get round this.

While that is fairly brief can you let me know your thoughts and/or if you know of an already corporate solution. The company don't mind paying, to some extent, but don't want the overheads to be huge as some of the sites need accessing remotely probably once a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back