Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote access audit 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DECNET

Technical User
Apr 28, 2001
GB
Hi, I'm trying again with this thread. I tried it in a different forum and got a mixed response. What I am after is a (freeware) utility that can interrogate network PC's for installed software. I would like to audit all our PC's for licence purposes, but with an ever growing network 2,000 plus, it's getting difficult. Ideally, the app. should run from the server end with no client end software required. Also, if it could output the results to a CSV or XLS file that would be better. I do something similar at the moment, using batch files put the output is quirky and there is a lot of manual editting work to get a decent output. I am sure there is something available that will do what I require. If you can interrogate or manipulate a network hard drive by running \\"PCID"\C$, then I'm sure there must be app. that can do this for all connected PC's on a network and output it's findings.
Your technical expertise and knowledge on this one would be appreciated. DEC

There are a great deal of third party software utilities that do what you ask. We use GASP here, but I have personally tried a couple others BindView and TSCensus. They all have comparible features and about the same price. My suggesstion(sp?) is to download the demo software and try it out for yourself.

Also my co-worker just pointed out that Wise Installer and ZenWorks also do software auditing and metering.

We run ours through a login script so the user never even knows it is happening. We did, however, have to install a small client app on each computer.

Let me know if you need any additional info.

Roger

Thanks for that. I was hoping that there maybe some small freeware utilities around that might do the job, without client end intervention. Perhaps I'm asking too much.
I was trying match up the number of apps. installed, say MS Office, with the number of licences we have.
Certainly the applications you have mentioned could help us in the future, but at the moment we need to quantify what we have already installed.
Appreciate your help.

Cheers DEC

I suppose if you were really dedicated you could write a VBScript to connect to the admin shares of every computer and compare directory structure to a "baseline" computer you have. After teaching the software what you want to look for you could then run it on your domain and get a accurate count of what PCs have what software. A little bit of work, but cheaper than my previously posted answer.

Also you might be able to do your in house audit with the 30 day demo software that GASP has. It counts the licenses on each PC and you do not HAVE to have it installed on each client.

If trust BSA software you can download a free version of GASP off of their site:

Roger

A brand new program called SysTrack 2.0 is in beta right now; should be ready for sale in a couple of weeks. This product not only gives you software inventory but also hardware inventory and shows you changes to both. I also monitors applications, users and systems. It even runs on disconnected machines (ie: laptops) then reports all this information the next time the machine is connected to the network. Good luck!

I was in the same boat, I couldnt find any freeware program but I did use Blue Ocean Track-it it was fantastic. There is a demo you can try from the website I strongly suggest you try this product:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back