Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remote Access Appliance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gacollier

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2004
US
I'm looking for a cheaper equivalent to the Netopia R2000 analog dial-in router. Basically, I have a piece of equipment at a customers site that I need to access for remote troubleshooting. The Netopia allows me to dial-in to it, assigns me an IP address that's on the subnet of the machine, and allows me to run various programs as if I'm right there on the network. The Netopia runs $500. Any thoughts?

I'd use something like remote desktop. It comes with XP by default for 2 accounts. We use it for our business when support is an issue. Or gotomeeting.. around 45 a month

There's no PC on this equipment. I'm looking strictly for a "black box" approach.

Any VPN router will allow the same functionality.
Take a look at the linksys rv042. ~$160
You can also try Netgear and others.

Brent
Systems Engineer / Consultant
CCNP, CCSP

Not looking for a VPN router, I'm looking for an analog (POTS) dial-in router. I don't think any of the Linksys RV units have an analog phone line port and offer dial-in support.

Sorry, I missed that tidbit. The linksys products do not have that feature.
Only higher end equipment has that that I know of (Cisco, Netopia) all equal to or greater than $500.

Brent
Systems Engineer / Consultant
CCNP, CCSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back