Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

remote 9608 phones stay in discover too long with dual WAN internet failover

Status
Not open for further replies.

qtelcom

Vendor
Jun 11, 2007
CA
Single IP500v2 R9.1 and 9608 phones. The remote office has dual-wan internet setup as failover (not load balanced) with a VPN tunnel back to main office using sonic walls.

When the primary internet fails and the 2nd internet standby connection kicks in, the 9608 stays at discover and will not re-register automatically unless the phone is rebooted, (it could also be the client isn't waiting the 10 minutes or whatever it is when the phones reboot themselves when in discover mode). I've also seen this behavior with a cloud hosted IPO server edition and remote phones with dual internet (failover only) to the cloud.

Is this just the way it is? Is there some setting in the 46xxsettings that could be adjusted?

The client would like to minimize the impact to the users when the primary internet fails and not have every user reboot their phone to get them back up quicker. Seems like a reasonable request.

Any thoughts or experience on this?

I don't think this is a phone or system issue

If the network is setup correctly then the failover is not even noticed by the phone. All the phone knows is its local gateway and the gateway on the other end.
There have to be however 2 tunnels on the connection and my suspicion is that the tunnel is not up all the time and set to on demand or the firewall simply not rereoutes existing connections until they are refreshed through the second tunnel.

If you look at the Monitor log when the main Internet fails you should see the keep alive packages come in, if you do then there is a problem on the system side (unlikely) but if not then you know that the firewall tries to keep routing traffic the non-working way until it is refreshed as a new connection.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

"Dew knot truss yore Spell Cheque

Good feedback, and goes along with my thoughts also. I'm going to get clarification on the dual wan sonic wall VPN tunnel setup on each side Main Office<--->Remote office.

Are there any experts that have any advice or tips with firewall setup for dual wan internet failover setup for remote Avaya IP Phones?

Thanks derfloh, however they not using the VPN client on the 9608, this is a site to site VPN tunnel using dual wan internet on both ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back