Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remodeling Data Cables 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

upinflamezzz

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2011
US
Looking for opinions here. My office is getting renovated and a company was hired to do the cabling. The tech cut the existing ethernet and telephone cables and his plan is to splice them all together again to fit the new design of the room. I'm talking about 20 desks. My brain tells me this is totally the wrong thing to do and new cabling should be ran. Can I get some opinions on this? Thanks.

The cabling company is doing the wrong thing. A splice is an emergency fix and will "work" initially, but is not a long term solution. It will cause numerous problems down the line.

It is also likely, depending upon how they plan to splice the cabling, that it wont even pass certification/testing.

And, it goes against every standard and certifying organization, and every manufacturer's recommendations.

I Totally agree with Roberto. The project cost should have included a cost for rewire. That should plan on remove all old cabling and install new cat 5e or cat6 depending on the needs. For a remodel which in most municipalities is considered a new construction it must meet new electrical/ wiring standards. You must have self supporting non pvc insulated cable known as plenum. Self supporting meaning it must be secured to the main structure not resting on the ceiling tiles or attached to the wiring that is supporting the ceiling tiles. Inspection by the local building inspector and fire inspector is required at several stages during the remodel in our area. On a recent project our contractor had to open a wall that was finished because the code had changed during the construction, inspectors required low voltage and electrical inspection within the wall structure before finishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back