Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reminder Script or Autorun

Status
Not open for further replies.

oarshad

Programmer
Jun 16, 2003
US
I want some specific php script on my server to run automatically on certain time.
It may include sending an email reminder to clients or updating some information.

Please help me because I am stuck in the middle of my work

It depends on your run environment. You basically need three things: a PHP script, a PHP interpreter, and a scheduling application.

The script, you write.

PHP comes in two basic versions: a web server plugin or a standalone interpreter. You can automate processes either way, but using the standalone interpreter is easier. If you only have the plugin, you'll need some way to invoke a web browser and point it at the site. The text-only browser lynx is a good choice for this kind of thing -- it is designed to be run from a command prompt.

The availability and use of a scheduling application depends on your environment. If you're running on Linux or another Unix-like operating system, you'll almost certainly have cron available. On Win32, there are a lot more possibilities.

Write a script. Set up your scheduling application to run the script in PHP on a regular basis, either by direct invocation of the script or by invoking a browser and pointing it at your script through a web server.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back