Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remembering selected record after ShowAllRecords

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemeier

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2001
US
I have a subform that the user can filter. If the user selects a record from the filtered subform and presses a command button I want to "unfilter" (Docmd.ShowAllRecords) the subform, then position the user back on his/her selected record so he can see the record in relationship to those above and below. The underlying recordset has no keys that can be retained.

I've tried saving the bookmark, which is lost after the ShowAllRecords, and saving the AbsolutePosition, which only shows the absolute position within the filtered recordset -- not within the unfiltered recordset.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can do this?

[shadeshappy] Cruising the Information Superhighway at the speed of light
[sub] (your mileage may vary)[/sub]

The underlying recordset has no keys that can be retained
If the recordset is updatable, then each row should be uniquely indentified ...

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

How are ya wemeier . . .
wemeier said:
[blue]The underlying recordset has no keys that can be retained.[/blue]
Here lies your problem! . . . Is there any other field with [blue]unique values[/blue] that you can use?

Also . . . whats preventing you from [blue]adding a key?[/blue] (if you can . . . make it so!)

This is a good example of what you can run into when you don't include a key in a table! . . .

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

I wish I could add keys, but I don't own this table. The data is actually from a mainframe report where not all records even have the same data! There are header records and detail records.

I've managed to identify some common fields on the detail records that I am using for my browser. But, when I filter on a set of detail records, I want to be able to click on one of the detail records and re-expand the data to show where it falls within the mainframe report.

[shadeshappy] Cruising the Information Superhighway at the speed of light
[sub] (your mileage may vary)[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back