Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Remedy Manuals available ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 1999
US
I've been assigned Admin tasks in Remedy, with minimal training and no manuals. I'd be willing to buy some manuals if I could find any that cover AR 5.0. I need to add to a Type list under a particular category (add a list of Types to the list under the Project category) and haven't found a way to do it yet. I tried the knowledgebase under 'Remedyon the web) and got an 'error 500'

Fred Wagner

Fred,

Your probably aware that 7.5 is the most current version.
Have you attempted to contact your BMC Account Manager and request BMC support site access so you can download any Licensed material you are in need of.?

If your company is current on License payment, then they will assist you in obtaining ANY Licensed BMC Product\Doc you are in need of.

Sorry I could not help,

hi Fred,

if you still need this, I have all the 5.1.2 guides. Not surew how to get them to you...

LJ

LJ -
very kind of you! I'm in Long Beach, CA - where are you?
For the moment, I'm doing OK - I'm just replacing the person who was maintaining the front end, who's still here and being reassigned, and the person who maintains the server end is still here. Whenever they show me a procedure, I immediately document it with screen-shots and a description - and I've referred to my own instructions several times already. It would be awesome to see the manuals - I don't know how much they would apply, since I understand that each Remedy install is essentially a custom job. How much do they weigh ? We can get an estimate of shipping costs, and decide if they'd be worth that much!

Fred

Fred Wagner

i have them electronically, can put on a disk and send or if you know of an ftp i can load them to. Anyway, for my two cents, remedy manuals are very general more like guidelines. Not sure they will help "filling in guy". if there is a specific problem, post away. 5.1.2 is still fresh in my mind. 2 weeks ago went from 5.1.2 to 7.1. geez, what a project....

JodyLyn - thanks for the offer, but
A - I've figured out or been shown what I need, and
B - turned out we have the manuals, but as you said, they're so general they don't really help much with operating out system - they're more for an installer!
We don't have the budget to move beyond where we are - but we have a Notes developer who is going to try to talk of our ancient Remedy system from our very current Notes system with a workflow. It'll be interesting, for sure!

Fred Wagner

Fred,

I smile reading this because i was a 'fill in' scrambling for documentation, and now six years later I am master to franken-remedy. The best I can say for you is just upgrade it! There was no budget for me either, but on a Windows 2000 server the microsoft security patches were killing it, and BMC and/or support provider will not help. Point is, it can be done at the cost of your grief. Trust me when i say there will come a day when something blows and only a seriuos ARS Specific DBA can get it back. ARSystem databse is not straight-forward by design, and oh man, oh man, it aint nothing like Domino. Good luck!

Thank you JodyLynn - fortunately I have a teammate who does the back end work on the server, interfacing witn inventory scanners and such, so I get to add users, change user's license status, add CTI's to CHG items and Assets. Fortunately there are managers who have the skill sets on the reporting end that I don't get asked to generate reports - I get handed some report output and asked to make changes to flagged records. so far it's manageable. My other systems are Filenet and Kofax - I thought those were complex until I began to get a feel for the underpinnings of Remedy!

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back