Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

REM56G-100 & Dell Latitude 233ST Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

blinkdt

Instructor
Dec 29, 2002
US
Folks, I just installed a Xircom RealPort Ethernet 10/100+Modem 56 (model REM56G-100) in my Dell Latitude CP model 233ST. Here's the deal:

1. The installation appears to have gone off without a hitch. All devices appear to be funtioning properly in Device Manager (modem, NIC, parent device).

2. I have TCP/IP and Windows Logon selected, with Client for Microsoft Networks present as well. Dumped the Family Logon.

3. Infrared is disabled through the BIOS, which was flashed to A16. The serial port is on COM1.

4. Xircom diagnostics shows the NIC receiving packets, but not sending them. So I get nuthin' when attempting to connect to the Web.

And that's pretty much the story. I cannot connect through my RoadRunner connection with the NIC, either directly or through my Netgeat FVS318 router. I haven't attempted to use the modem, although Xircom diagnostics also shows that item to be working. This happened once before with a Latitude CPi, and I ended up sending the card back, thinking it was a hardware issue. But it wasn't, and I eventually got the card working. I just can't remember what I did to make it happen. Is anyone out there a better note taker than me?

I'm going to try connecting to the network using a simple 3Com EtherLink III after format/reinstall of the OS (Win98SE). If I can't get THAT working, then....

Thanks in advance for your consideration, it's been three days....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back