Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reloading Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I'm having some problems with Windows. If I reload windows will it just overwrite the old version, or will I lose everything on my hard drive?

If you refresh windows, it will of course overwrite the old version of windows. There are some things that are not desirable about the course of action though.

1. There may still be files that will be hanging around in the background causing trouble

2. If it is a virus overwriting will do nothing for that situation and you will continue to experience difficulties

3. Sometimes a simple scanreg will help with some of the difficulties.

4. a delete windows and reinstall wil make windows think its the only thing on your computer, and thus will not see the other programs running on your computer. Doing a refresh of your os will have all the links remain in tact. As well you will not have to reinstall any chipsets or drivers.

vctoria is correct in the assessment of potential problems and potential gains.
The version you are using will affect the ease of reloading. I've done this many times and would suggest the following if you have capability:
1) Make a directory win95in and under that a directory win95.
2) copy the setup file from the cd root to win95in
3) copy everything in cd\win95 directory to c:\win95in\win95
4) delete the registry files and the backup registry files
5) delete the win.com file
6) you may have to delete the desktop directory to get it to load

Understand that you might corrupt lots of stuff. Depends on how your system was set up originally. And you may have to reload programs if they don't still work.
This set of instructions doesn't work for the disk version of 95 exactly.
Once you have the install files on the hard drive installation is about 1/4 the time and you never have to find the cd again.
Also understand that you will get other advice here both agreeing and disagreeing. Accept it and try to understand what the posterd are trying to tell you. They generally have good intentions and good information.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back