Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reloading SQL Server 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

pio

MIS
Aug 24, 2000
US
This weekend my company is moving our web server over to a web hosting company this weekend. We are also going to wipe out the current NT 4 OS and start fresh with a new 2000 Server install. We currently have SQL 7 installed. My question to you is: "When 2000 server is installed and I get the SQL Server 7 installed, how can I get the databases back onto the server?" I've never done this before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

You can attach the SQL user databases to SQL 2000 or you can restore SQL 7 backups to SQL 2000. However, you cannot restore system databases such as master and msdb. You should script DTS Packages stoed in msdb, job (msdb), logins (master) and any user created stored procedures in SQL 7 and run the scripts in the new server after installing SQL 2000 and attaching user databases. Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions in the SQL Server forum. Many of the ideas apply to all forums.

HI
I use import for D.B. copying from one server to another.
works fine for us.

Could one not use Backup Database and Restore database on the new server ?

lou

HI Weez
I was using backup and restore but then I had to choose selectively the tables to copy from one server to another so I started using the import option.
would some one please refer me to the differences between attaching-importing-backuping database? when each metode is prefarable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back