Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reloading Missing Cabs and whatever else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormRyder

Programmer
Sep 7, 2003
US
I have a company machine with XP Pro that has an incomplete set of options to load or even select from. Such as wallpaper, colors, mice pointers, and some of the other "normal" XP programs. I own an XP Pro disk so my question is, is there a way to add the missing files back to the os without jeopardizing the system?

TIA,
Rich

You should be able to reload some of that from Add/remove Programs -> Add/remove WIndows Components.
It is also possible that these settings are just turned off by your sys admin (if you have one).

Tried the cd and install. Appeared to see just the same thing as if the cd wasn't in it. They could be turned off, our machines are loaded with a generic image. Any way to turn them back on, we are given admin rights?

TIA,
Rich

It sounds more than likely that some of the group policy options have been set by the System Admins. If you do have full admin rights click on start > Run > Type gpedit.msc and there you will see many options relaing to options that can be set. However if the admins have set this by AD or Domain based Policies then these will revert back net time you log into the network.

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

Start, run, sfc /scannow

This will replace missing components. As Greg Palmer suggested above it is very unlikely you are missing components, but you may have Policy settings that prevents your customization of the desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back