Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reloading 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

VieiraR

MIS
Jul 3, 2003
US
Ok I am drawing an absolute blank here. I have been workin on and w/ 2000, XP system for so long I forget. How does one reload windows 98 OS only. A friend on mine is having issuess w/ the OS and needs to reload it. They don't want to upgrade or loose and files or programs. I know I have reloaded the OS system files only beofore. However I forget the command used. I don't recall windows 98 having a repair install feature, but I am probally wrong. Seems like ages ago I worked on these systems.

Rich

Like you would do an original install. Boot disk with CD support. Move to CD, run setup, put it in the same location.
This is an overlay install.
It may, or may not, resolve the issues. SE is the best at doing this. You can get failures with FE that killing win.com or renaming it will resolve.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Hello VieiraR,
If he can do it from within windows, then just pop the cd in and run it.

If not, boot with a Win98 bootdisk, select boot with cdrom support and then X:\setup

X: being the cdrom drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back