Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reload of Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

claymca

Technical User
Sep 12, 2002
US
I recently had to reload Windows XP Pro. In order to keep all my files and currently installed programs I installed to a different windows folder. The question is how do I transfer all the info from the old windows folder except the corrupted file. I need to do this in order to get all my programs back without reinstalling. And also how do you delete the old install.

Thanx.

I must ask you why you "Had to Reload Windows XP Pro" which I assume means to "reinstall it", and also ask what caused the "corruption" of a file. Do you run scandisk and got "no problems found" results??? Are you experiencing Disk problems..??? My recomendation is to create a partition on your disk free space, large enough to back-up your personal and important files, as well as your installed programs settings and configuration files, unless you have a second disk drive that fits. Then format your WinXP partition/drive and perform a clean install.
Also make sure to install a freshly downloaded AVG antivirus inmediately after first connecting to internet, before installing any other of your programs, in case you have corrupted installation disks.
Regards
Roberto

If you had a "corupted file" it would have been a whole bunch easier to replace that file, then what you are asking now.

I tried to replace the file that was corrupted but couldn't. And I don't know what caused the file to become corrupt. I was running a program that has the option to shutdown the pc when its done with its process. And when I came back power on and the blue screen stating some hive file or something could not be loaded. And some log file in system 32 was not found or couldn't be written to. Maybe I will do a claean install in a few days.

Thanx

claymca - chkdsk advice above was good. You can't move (most) installed apps between original and new installation - most would have to be reinstalled (because of registry settings/system files) - even though 'program files' folders are there.

One thing you could try (as well as chkdsk) - is a repair reinstall (on the original installation)-
To remove an unwanted installation (when you have more than one), just delete the folder its installed into (eg \windows, \windows2...) and remove the boot.ini entry which makes it appear on boot menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back