Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Relinking tables after archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyF

Technical User
Oct 28, 2001
I have 1 main table and 4 sub tables. The 4 sub tables are linked to the main table buy its ID which is an autonumber.

The problem I have is that I am trying to archive some of the old data in all 5 tables which is not a problem but when you insert the data into a new table you get a different ID no so the links to the other tables has been lost. The ID no in the archived table has to be an autonumber or I will get duplicates.

An archive implies a history. Records are not added and not changed therefore why are you insisting on an autonumber value anywhere in any table since you are not adding records? Define your primary keys to be long numbers, unique. You certainly do not need to be concerned about adding new records. You are simply appending records. As long as you do not reinitiate your autonumber sequencing on your live database you should never have a problem with your archived keys. Robert Berman
Data Base consultant
Vulcan Software Services
thornmastr@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back