Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Releasing changes to the master script

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazza99

Technical User
May 29, 2003
GB
Hi folks, what are your views and experiences of making changes to the master script during opening hours ? For many years now we have always done changes as and when required but know our maintainer suggests releases should really be done prior to opening hours. Now i can sort of see that logically it makes sense as the system is quieter and reporting would be less effected but what are your views ? Does it really pose a great risk ?

In my opinion there is no risk changing the Master script during opening hours. I always create a test CDN to test if a change will work and implement it (copy paste it over the section to change). This way I operate for serveral years now (on rls 4 through 6) and never have experienced any problems.
The advantage of operation during day time: When a call flow goes wrong you will hear it at once (and can monitor it via real time displays ;-)

I agree, I've never had any problems activating a master script. Having said that common sense should prevail, if you have a VERY busy call centre and a VERY LARGE master script then out of hours would be sensible.

The disadvantage of making changes during the workday is the possibility of losing customer calls. Some businesses would not care, others worry about every minute not taking calls.

Personally I make ALL my changes during off hours and make test calls. I have not had any problems either, but there is always the chance, a chance I don't want to take. I don't want to be responsible for lost business.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

I recommend you can make changes during off hours, if possible.

It gives you time to catch any unintended consequences and it has less impact on reporting.

Technically, it should not matter, especially if you have tested ahead of time.

So it mostly depends on your operation and their change control process. Some have very detailed changed control, some have none.

This brings up painful memories.

It is important that you are aware of your server's capacity. Turn on monitoring tools if you need to, and find out what peaks you have. If activating a script causes you to peg out at 100%, that means that any calls coming in at that moment will default. Not good. This is especially with the Master Script. If your server is overloaded, then I would not recommend you make these changes when you have incoming calls.

This is not a black and white issue. It all depends on your server capacity, the size/activity of your call center, and the number/complexity of your scripts.

Thx for the interesting comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back