Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

relative path to linked tables? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISDleftovers

Technical User
Dec 18, 2000
AU
I have a database application which I made in Access 97 and had to translate into Access 2000, I tried everything I could think of in Access 97 to make the path to the linked tables relative to the interface file
what I need to know is, is there something I overlooked in Access 97, or an additional feature in Access 2000 that will allow me to set the path relative to the interface file, or will I simply have to dictate where a user MUST put the files?

my app includes two seperate files for data storage and one more for the forms, queries, reports, macros, and modules. this was to allow more data to be stored before compression was required.

I don't believe it is possible to enter a relative path for the links. However, it would be possible for you to add some code to your "front end" database that will run at startup and relink the tables for you if necessary, using a relative path.

There is an example of how to do this in the Solutions database that comes with access. If you need any assistance with modifying it for your own use, then either check out FAQ 4q or post here again.

Hope this is useful,
Jonathan

Jonathan
j.w.george@virginnet.co.uk

Working against: Visual Basic 6, Access 97, Visual Interdev 6, VBScript, Active Server Pages, SQL Server 6.5, Oracle 7

In my experience, the ONLY useful way to address links in Ms. Access (and most other apps) is to use UNC references. I would suggest that you look into this.

MichaelRed
mred@duvallgroup.com
There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back