Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

relationships and keys disappeared?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdholdford

Technical User
Apr 27, 2002
US
Posted initially in other forum but this seems more appropriate. I have an Access 2003 database with about 10,000 records. On a network and used by several employees. The database has not been split. When attempting to amend or change data to one form, it won't accept changes and when I try to close the form I get a message saying "The command or action 'Save Record' isn't available now.
*May be read-only or unconverted db * the type of objec the action applies to isnt selected or active. >OK then the macro failed error "Action Failed error
Macro Name: close_session
Condition : True
Action Name: RunCommand
Arguments: 97
Other forms seem to accept data changes. All of my tables are visible in the relationship window but all of the relationships are gone. Also, the tables no longer have keys. Had a corrupted record earlier in the day which was deleted and the database was compacted. What happened? This db is for providing court reports on domestic violence offenders and court starts at 1pm. Thanks!!!

rdholdford

I am sorry that no one got back to you in time.

It looks like you have data corruption. I have not seen this type although I have seen some older posts that may shed some light.

First backup your data.

A primary key needs to be unique. I guess it is may be possible that somehow the uniqueness was lost. For example some discussions on autonumber with a multiuser application can cause problems. (Seasoned vetran MichaelRed -
Try and redefine the former primary key as the primary key again. If it fails, then I suspect this may be where your problem lies. You will have to find the duplicate data and change the defunct key and then try redefining the primary key.

If it works, then try and re-establish your links, etc.

As a system admin, I hear this story too often (like just today at work). Some things to consider in hind sight.

1) Make sure you have a formal backup policy. In a tight spot as you went through, you could restore your database from the previous day, or last week, etc.

2) Break up your data and forms. Much better tactic for many reasons. Research this topic for more info. It is fairly easy to do, and has many advantages.

3) If this is a serious database, then you should consider beefing it up. For a multiuser system, if you use the autonumber for unique fields, you may have to develope another approach, or the random number autonumber approach may work. Do you have security built into your database? Etc.

I sincerely hope you were able to resolve your problem, and good luck with the next version of your database.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back