Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Relationship between NT domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

tao

MIS
Feb 3, 2000
FR
Hello,

I've a question regarding the possible relations between domains under Windows NT. I'm working on my own "X" domain
and a user from the "Y" domain want to use one of my printer which is in my "X"domain.

My question is : Is there any possibilities for this user to access my ressources (printers) without establishing approvals between the 2 domains ?

Thanks in advance !
Have a nice day,
Bye,
[sig][/sig]

I don't think so. That is the exact purpose of trusts: to allow users on one domain to access resources on another. You can play around with one-way vs. two-way trusts and other types of limitations to minimize inter-domain rights. [sig]<p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>If everything seems to be going well: you don't have enough information.......[/sig]

A trust relationship is not necessary to gain access to inter-domain resources in your circumstance. As long as you know the source and target.

You need local admin rights on your box and you can create a local account. When the user from domain Y wants to connect to a resource on your box in domain X he should be prompted with an account/password dialog.....have him enter the local one you created.

That is basically what I do here in my office. I interconnect my work computer (on the corp domain) to my office network (dead domain). Since the IT group will most certainly not trust my domain and therefore I will not trust theirs...I created local accounts on each so that I could transfer data between the computers/domains.
[sig]<p>Doug<br><a href=mailto:dxd_2000@yahoo.com>dxd_2000@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back