Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Related topics - How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinapa

Technical User
Nov 12, 2008
GB
Hi guys, can you please give me some ideas/direction as to how I should go about having additional feature to my pages.

What I want to have:
When a user visits/reads a topic in my site, I want them also to see, say in the right-hand side a box that says something like, "The users who viewed/read this topic also read the following topics".... and then follows a list of the topics in bullets points.

Any ideas guys? Thnx for any help

I would create a session for each user and simply record which articles they visit.

Should be fairly simple to then check the DB when articles load and get say 5 other articles that are recorded in the same session as the current one (obviously going for the ones with the highest view count).

Will be fairly easy to schedule the DB to remove any unwanted info once a month, so you aren't storing unused data forever.

thnx th3maw. i will look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back