Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Relate 2 combo boxes in a continuous form

Status
Not open for further replies.

redaccess

MIS
Aug 2, 2001
US
How does a person go about having one combo box be determined by another's value when the form they're on is continuous?

Here's how I normally do it on a single form with a me.requery on ComboA's afterupdate.

ComboA = SELECT DISTINCTROW [tc_id], [tech] FROM [tbl_Tech];

ComboB = SELECT DISTINCTROW [tp_id], [Tech_Product] FROM [tbl_Tech_Type] where [tc_id] = [forms]![client_tech]![tc_id];

Unfortunately with a continuous form, when ComboA is updated to a different value on the second record, ComboB in the first record is removed. (The value is still in the table for ComboB but since that value isn't in the list anymore the correct text isn't shown.)

Has anyone been able to overcome this?

I would place the combo boxes on the header or footer of the form and have them refrence the currently selected record. Upon selection of an item from the list box have it update the appropriate field for the appropriate record that info will disply on the form for the correct record and your user then selects the next record to make changes to.

Good Luck
ssecca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back