Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reistallation From Upgrade Media 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2002
US
Good Morning or Afternoon to you,

I have a pc that needs to be reloaded. The original operating system was windows 98. It has been upgraded by using the upgrade version to Windows 98 SE and then to Windows ME.

Is it possible to install from just the Windows ME Upgrade disk?

Thank you for your assistance,

The Clueless

PS- I tried to search for another topic like this one but the search feature appears to be broken.

If you plan on formatting the drive, and reinstalling Windows ME upgrade, you will need to install Windows 98 (or 98SE) first, as the upgrade will look for a previous operating system (or an upgradeable version of Windows). Info:
Job Title - Systems Administrator
Key responsibilities -
Database management design and administration - Network Administration - Internet and Intranet Administration and design - Technical support and consultation (PC Based)

Haven't tried it on ME but suspect that it will install like some other upgrades, will look for the qualifier and allow you to point to the 98 CD. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Ed's right - it does just that (so yes, you can install from just the ME upgrade as long as you have a win9x install CD to hand as well).

Thank you a bunch everyone. Was able to get that working with the 98 key ready.

The Clueless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back