Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstalling xp on Compaq nc6400

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUCHIMAMA

Programmer
Jan 25, 2004
US
Hey folks ran into something I have never seen before here. Reinstalling XP on my wifes computer Compaq nc6400 I boot from CDrom and select enter to proceed with installing xp. Here is the weird thing. I then get a screen that says "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure sure any hard disks drives are powered on and properly connected to your omputer, and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve runing a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program." Cannot continue. o quit press F3.

I know the hard drive works because computer books up fine. I am not using the recover disk. I am using an open license xp disk.

Amy thoughts?

Support Our Troops

yep, you need the drivers for the hard drive controller in this case its an intel 945 express chipset, you can load the driver, by downloading them from intel, or hp, and placing them on a usb floppy drive, and pressing F6 when required.

You can also try going into BIOS and changing the ide type to legacy or combined, but not ahci,unless you have that driver on a floppy and can install it with F6 also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back