Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reinstalling windows xp professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregmacca

IS-IT--Management
Aug 7, 2002
GB
I have had to reinstall xp professional on my machine due to some software conflicts i have had with eg video drivers. I select a complete reinstall but then when this is finished I have a completely new version except that all the program files that were on the machine before are still there. I can't uninstall them as they don't appear on the add/remove programs list. They are taking up a lot of the hard disk space. How can I reinstall so that I don't have any of these program files when the operating system has finished reinstalling? Do I have to format the hard drive before reinstalling? If so should I use the xp professional set of boot disks from the microsoft website or should I use the windows 98 boot disk (it seems odd to me but i read it somewhere)?

Thanks

Howdy:

Do you not get the option to partition and format when you boot with the XP cd in the drive??

Murray

Hi,

I did the reinstall a week ago, I used a boot disk from a site called "bootdisk.com" after reformatting my drive I just did a clean install and then installed SP1, then all my programs ran their updates and my machine is so good, it's like a new system.

I can recommend this to anyone who downloads trial S/W and forgets to uninstall it. Good housekeeping leads to less problems on your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back