Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstalling Windows 98 on an HP Pavilion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chvol

Programmer
Oct 3, 2002
US
Reinstalling Windows 98 on an HP Pavilion

I want to reinstall windows 98 on my HP Pavilion. I don’t have a windows 98 CD. I have the HP Pavilion recovery CDs and the windows 98 upgrade CD. I don’t want to have to save and restore everything. How do I do this?

Charlie
chvol@aol.com

In your HP recovery disk set there is a disk#3hich contains all the different application drivers for that PC , You might find the area you need to restore there , Other thin that the only way is to do a system recovery ,which will erase everything , One of the real down faults of the HP system. You will not be able to install windows from the 98 disk because the HP system will not accept it ,{ I have done all ,I have ME on my HP and want to put 98 on it and so far I have been unable to .

Hello chvol:

I want to be sure that I understand what W98 products you have. You seem to be saying that you have an HP recovery CD with W98(not W98SE) on it, and a non-HP W98(not W98SE) UPGRADE(not UPDATE) CD. If this is the case, then that UPGRADE CD will not work to reinstall W98. I remember trying this with an old HP Pavilion 8390, 450 Pentium II.

If, however, you have a non-HP W98SE UPGRADE(or UPDATE) CD, it will work, but most likely leave you with a few minor but solvable problems. I did this myself with the 8390.

I'm assuming that you have some major problems with your system to cause you to want to reinstall W98? The original HP version of W98 can be reinstalled from your HP recovery CD. This process is part of an "Advanced Options" menu. You may want to consult the HP on-line help to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back