Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reinstalling directory services 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmckenna

Technical User
Dec 3, 2008
Hi there,
we have a netware 6.5 server that is giving 618 errors when running limber tests. I have tried everything to resolve but have had no joy. The only way I can see to resolve issue is to remove server from tree and then reinstall directory services. this server is running dhcp and dns at the moment and will be a real pain to schedule downtime on so I would like to do as much research as possible before doing it to minimise any gotchas.
any advice on carrying out this procedure would be gratefully accepted.
Thanks in advance.

Frank

Make sure you don't have any type of hardware issue (disk/controller/network) that might be causing the problem. I know it sounds dumb, but A) it might fix your issue and B)if you uninstall edirectory and the problem is still there, you may be back where you started with the additional of some extra gray hair minus some lost time.

Then, I guess you need to backup your DNS so you can put it back in case anything crazy happens.

Thanks Goombawaho. I am certain it is not a hardware issue. I have checked all the easy stuff and reinstalling edirectory seems the only option. Is all the DNS and DHCP configuration stored in edirectory and if so is it just a case of backing up DNS , removing replicas , removing DS from server, tidying up any remnants in tree , waiting for obituaries to clear , reinstalling server to tree , reconfiguring DNS and DHCP. sounds easy when you put it like that.
where does DHCP keep info on address leases etc.. ( i.e. on server or in edirectory)

Thanks for reply
Frank

I can't answer your question on where the leases are kept since it's been 5 years since I had any DHCP on a Novell server. But the procedure seems right regarding removing, cleaning up and replacing.

I'd do an NDS health check (search Novell tech support) after removing and before reinstalling to make sure things have cleaned up properly.

All you need to do is go into the DHCP/DNS Console and export all of your subnets and any other configurations you have. Then when you set it up again, import them back and you're 90% done with a few minor details to handle.

Note that I disagree that remove/reinstall NDS is required.

Marvin

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

Thanks for reply Marv. In which respect do you disagree that reinstalling ds on this server is required. Any other options would be greatly appreciated.

Frank

Well I think you need to do some indepth troubleshooting on edir. Whether you have the technical expertise to do that or not - i guess that is the determining factor. If you don't, it may be easier to just redo it.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

that is exactly the question. If you are talking about fixing indexes then i may do more damage than good if i do not really know what i am doing.
i think researching how to restore dhcp is the way to go without logging a call with novell.
thanks for the reply.

frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back