Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstalling DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben79

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2006
SE
I'm not sure if my domain controller (windows server 2003) works optimal and if I can't fix some of its issues can i safely reinstall/format it and not affect the clients on the network? The server is used for AD and sharing folders atm. but I will install Exchange 2003 soon.
And if the server has issues before that I'm not sure if I am the man to fix that after Exchange is installed.

My main concern is the user files on the clients local computers such as .pst files and so on.

If I set up the server with the exact same AD structure and shares, will the clients XP computer treat the login to the "new" server as an new local account on the client computer? If so, how do I backup settings on an local account, simply use the files and settings wizard?

Sincerely Ben

If that's your sole DC, then reloading it will essentially create a new domain, and your workstations would have to join that domain.

Not sure what you mean about local accounts, since you don't need local accounts on a workstation if you're connecting to AD.

The best method would be to do a swing migration. Build a new DC, transfer the FSMO roles & data, then demote the first, remove it, and rebuild it. Then you could do the same thing again - add it to the domain, promote it, transfer the FSMSO roles & data, then demote the "temp" DC & remove it.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Thank you for that imput to my problem.
What I ment with local accounts was that when a user makes his local profile on a local computer with outlook and such programs, that local computer will make a new profile if I reinstall the server. And all that users settings and mail will end up in a old user profile on the local computer.

If I dcpromo another server will the user accounts end up on that server and I dont need to make anything with the local accounts on the users computers?

True, but you can copy the contents of the old profile onto the new one. Here's how:

Determine the folder that contains the current profile. It will be something like c:\documents and settings\[username]

Now - add the machine to the new domain, and login as the user. A new profile will be created. If the username is the same on the new domain as it was on the old domain, you'll end up with something like c:\documents and settings\[username].DOMAIN

Logoff, and logon as the domain admin. Copy the contents of the first profile folder into the new profile. Then, right click on the new profile folder, click properties, then security. Add the new username to the list, with full control, and propagate to subfolders.

Then logoff and logon as the user, and the profile should be fine.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back