Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstalled XP Pro, no sound or wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geej

Technical User
Oct 2, 2008
US
I just re installed XP pro on my HP notebook.

Cleaned it up real good, but something wierd happend.

1. My sound disappeared
2. My wireless adapter disappeard also.

I haven't checked, but my gut tells me that's probably not all

Anybody have any idea how I get these back?

Help!

Does Device Manager show any problems with the drivers for these devices?

That is the strange thing, I don't even see them in there.

As smah said, you should check in Device Manager for missing drivers (entries with a yellow question mark). Then, go to HP's web site, click "Software and Driver downloads", and search for the drivers needed for your model notebook.

Thanks Man, that is a start.

Found everything, thanks for saving my a$$!! You guys rock, have a great weekend.

The first thing you should do before reload (after backing up your data of course) is to take a print screen of Device Manager showing all the devices that might not be installed by the Windows installation Cd.

These usually include:
modem
network card
sound card
scsi/raid/sata controllers
video card

Life is so much easier if you have these available on a thumb drive or CD so that you can install them after the installation. Or at LEAST know which ones they are for easier downloading.

It's especially vexing if your network card doesn't install and then you can't get on the internet to download it. Kind of like the chicken and the egg and you are hosed if you don't have access to another internet-connected PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back