Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

REINSTALLED WIN98 AND NOW ONLY BOOTS TO DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bygeek

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2002
US
I tried to reinstall win98 and when it di the 1st reboot during the install, the splash screen came up and said "preparing to run windows for the first time", then it boots to a dos prompt (c:\windows>), and will not boot into windows no matter what I try. Please help ASAP!

"and will not boot into windows no matter what I try."

Did you try
win<enter>
at the DOS prompt yet?

Perhaps tell us some things you tried.

Yes, I did, and it didn't work. Turns out for some reason there was a line in the config.sys file that said DOS=SINGLE that was causing the problem. I have no idea where it came from but once I rem's it out, the problem was solved. Thanks for trying, though.

I'm trying to boot into a load up of WIN 98. At the setup stage it tells me: This program cannot be run in DOS.
Do I have your same problem bygeek and how might I fix it I wonder ? I've posted my problem separatley as well. &quot;Deliver MORE than you promise&quot;

I'm not sure it makes a difference, but do you have a full version or an upgrade version? The upgrade version may need to run from windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back