Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstalled Win95 hangs on "starting for 1st time" screen 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nholden

Technical User
Aug 31, 2000
US
I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 95. It seemed to go well, but when I restarted the computer, it hangs at the "Getting Ready to Start Windows 95 for the First Time" screen. Devices that I had added to the computer, like an external modem, printer, and a sound card, are still in the computer. Does that have anything to do with this problem? I got the boot log, but can't see any error messages in there.

Hi,

I would suggest that you remove the bits you have added on, then let windows sort itself out, when you have a working "skeleton" system.

Start adding bits, I would start with the sound card, the modem and printer should not really have any problems.

Good Luck.

Paul

Hi,
You may reformat your hard drive again. This time when you install Win95, please remove modem and printer. Sometimes, soundcard failure also can cause this problem.

Thanks, these tips helped. I removed the sound card, unplugged the printer and modem, formatted the hard drive, and reinstalled Windows 95. I plugged the printer and modem back in and booted up. It worked, so I reinstalled the sound card. Everything worked fine. I suspect it was mostly the sound card that caused the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back