Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstallation on first run 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbyatt

Programmer
Dec 22, 2003
GB
My software seems to install OK, but when run various bits are reinstalled. I guess this is part of the infamous "resilience" whereby moved/deleted files are re-installed automatically.

Can anybody shed some more light on this, or point me where I can find out more. In particular, why are those files, just previously happily installed, re-installed on first use?

Mr B

If the MSI re-installs on first use then one of two things is happening: 1) You have a feature designated to install upon first use 2) You have per-user registry/files being installed.

If the MSI re-installs on every run then you may have some Tables.Class or Tables.ProgID entries that aren't being installed properly.

There are probably some other reasons but these are the ones that pop out at me. You could use the repackaging tool to find out what is being re-installed on first run.

HtH,

Rob

-Focus on the solution to the problem, not the obstacles in the way.-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back