Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

brh01

Technical User
Feb 23, 2003
what info will I lose if I re install windows 2k? will I lose my documents....office files?

Brian

If your are not repartitioning or formatting the drive, and simpling installing (I guess considered a repair) then nothing would be lost. However, it will revert back to the operational state of the OS when it was distributed. What I mean is no Service packs will be installed, nor hotfixes and updates. Those will all need to be reinstalled.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

If you do a repair reinstall, you should keep all data, apps & settings - but lose windows updates. If you just do a new install over the top of existing, you'll lose anything in \winnt, and might lose some profile information. You'll also loose installed apps and settings (though \program files folders will still be there).

If you reformat and/or delete/recreate partition, you loose everything of course.

I have reinstalled windows before and I did not lose vary many updates if any.

You should be able to install it without losing personal info

Sincerely,
THE I.T. GUY

I just tried and I got a message something like ....could not find version of windows to update.....when it asked me how i wanted to install cd I clicked the recommended way ( on the cd install box). Do I have to un install windows before re- installing it?

Brian

Where are you starting install from (inside existing 2k installation or booting from 2k install CD)?

If booting from CD, when it asks if you want new or repair, choose new. It should then find your existing installation, and offer to repair it (type R). If you want the repair, choose this option - otherwise hit enter and you'll get choice of where to install. If you now choose existing partition and \winnt, it will install over the existing installation (see my previous post).

"microsoft can't repair" and "cannot install in the partition" are the 2 msg s for repair and reinstall respectively....help.

Brian

Brian - it sound like current installation is corrupted. Does it still boot? You need to backup what you need from it, wipe drive and do a clean install. Slaving it in another machine if possible is good idea to backup/wipe.

PS. some history on this would be useful (eg, you may have a hardware probelm - so clean install also no good). What problems have you been having, when did they start, did you change any hardware/software, have a major crash or virus attack?

I would do the same thing I have run into problems before. I backed up to another computer and wiped the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back