Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtaman

Technical User
Sep 27, 2007
US
I had symantec corporate version 10 installed. Computer started acting funny. tried to uninstall the software but was not able to. the software is still there but the entry for it in the add/remove applet is gone. when I reinstalled, auto protect was disabled, scan engine is not present.

If you cannot uninstall the normal way, run the Norton Removal Tool:

You might want to check with the hardware requirements because Symantec uses a lot of resources. You can download AVG antivirus (free.grisoft.com) or Avast Antivirus ( instead. They are both free and work just as well without zapping all of your resources. You'll be surprised how much faster your computer will run without Symantec.

Hi

I Hartley agree with Clintblack about using AVG instead of Norton or McAfee.

After a year of frustration trying to get my Dell XPS to perform the way it should; on the advice of a friend of mine who was visiting from Scotland, I removed all my McAfee software and installed AVG for my anti virus software.

I couldn’t believe the difference that it made. My computer runs like a totally new computer.

Problems that I had been dealing with in Photoshop CS2 ever since I installed it were gone.

Random freezes were gone.

I’m using it in conjunction with the Zone Alarm firewall, and Spybot, to handle the rest of the protection.

All of these apps can be downloaded for free.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back